Wednesday, August 3, 2011

London 2009

In 2009, I took a class that allowed me and 20 other students to take a trip to London, England, UK.  We gave presentations in class, met every day as a class while in London, and had plenty of free time to explore London as we pleased.
The class.
The road where our apartment was located.
Our apartment.
The apartment building.
Our apartment was different than staying in a hostel.  5 of us stayed in our apartment.  We had a bunk bed, and 3 singles (if I remember correctly), 2 bathrooms, a living room with a TV, couch, and loveseat, a kitchen with all the essentials and kitchen table.  It was really nice and fairly close to the Angel Tube station.

Shortly upon arrival in London, our bus picked us up and took us to Stonehenge.  It was fun to see the country side [which ended up being my favorite part of the trip].  Absolutely beautiful.  After that we went to Windsor Castle.  We got to see the changing of the guards.  That night we ate at Angel Pub.
This guy doesn't mess around.
Stonehenge.
The country side is so beautiful.
Beautiful gardens.
We went as a class to the British Museum and British Library.  Saw some interesting things.  A couple of classmates and I left there and went to Buckingham Palace, St. James park, National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, Canada Embassy, West Africa House, Princess Diana Rose Walk, saw the Horse Guards, Police Memorial, Mall Gallery, Parliament Square, Cabinet War Rooms.  We ate at Bag O'Nails where I had fish and chips for the first time.
Trafalgar Square. 

One of my favorite pictures.

My first sight of Big Ben.
Buckingham Palace.
We went to Westminster Abbey.  Walked to Leicester Square and ate at Bella Italia.  I had pizza and it was sort of bland.  Took a boat ride to Tower of London; walked all over that place.  Went to Hyde Park to find Peter Pan which took forever!  Then we went to Picadilly Circus so i could find this notice board from my favorite movie, which I couldn't find.
Westminster Abbey.
Peter Pan statue...we looked for him for at least an hour!
Taken during our Thames River cruise.
Business District.

Went to Canterbury Cathedral.  No pictures were allowed but I sneaked one of T.S. Elliot's grave.  Went to Dover & took a boat ride & it was so incredibly cold.  We didn't get to check out much of the castle but I was glad we got to check out the war tunnels.  That was very interesting.  That night a few classmates and I were on a mission to find kebab restaurant.  We ate at a place called Shish...I tried duck & lamb.  My drink was more than my food and of course they put tons of ice in it but never in regular drinks or water.
TS Elliot's grave
Canterbury.
Went to London Zoo, which is near Camden Town.  I really liked Camden Town, it was so cool.  Very much a punk rock scene.  There was a little market set up with different vendors.  I bought some earrings & a scarf.  Went to St Mark's Cathedral and it was very pretty.  That night a couple of girls & I went out to find a little night life on Old Street.  Found a little club that played terrible music.  Wasn't exactly what I expected.
Monkeying around.
I love seahorses!
Went to the London Bridge area.  Ate at The Best Greek which was really good.  We went to see The Frontline at Shakesphere Globe Theater.  It took a while to figure out what was going on because we didn't have the best seats and their accent was hard to understand.  I really enjoyed it though.


A couple of classmates and I went to Greenwich so we could go to the Prime Meridian.  I also finally found this movie I had been looking for ["28 Days Later"] so I could go to all the places shown in it.  We went to St. Paul's Cathedral, but didn't get to tour it because it was Sunday.

I stood on both sides of the hemisphere :)
A classmate and I went to the Imperial War Museum and the National Portrait Gallery.  We split ways and I went back to Picadilly Circus to find what I wanted to find from that movie "28 Days Later."  Turns out we had sat right in front of it and I didn't realize it.  Then I went to Westminster Bridge and the London Eye.  
All those dots are people, taken from the London Eye.
Riding the London Eye.
It was my first time out of the country.  I was really glad to have the chance to go with a class.  I was able to do more than I would've if I had just gone by myself.  I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment