Monday, August 1, 2011

Washington D.C. 2009

In 2009, I took part in a class of 13 students and 2 teachers.
The bunch.
We met every day as a class at different locations and gave presentations, and at the end of the day we were "turned loose" and had free time.

We stayed at the William Penn Hostel.  It was my first time to ever stay in a hostel...but it was like going to camp as a kid so it wasn't so bad.
My bunk was in front of the first middle window.
I don't remember in complete details of everything we did, so I'll just go off the pictures that I have made my favorites.

I'll start with Arlington Cemetery.  It was so beautiful, in such a sad way.  So many people have lost their lives for what they believe in. 








Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Eternal Flame.
I saw the Lincoln Memorial so many times that I was nearly sick of it!
I wasn't sick of it yet for this picture...I'm in the black jacket.
We went to the International Spy Museum.  Not what I thought it would be.  I was not in the mood for playing detective, so I didn't allow myself to have fun.  I was tired and thought it was corny.  I should've been more open minded.
Pictures were not allowed....oops.
We got to go to The Secret Service.  They do a lot more than you think.  I learned to be super careful with fake money.  They showed us $5 that someone had made look like a $20...who knew?!
Secret Service.

We went to a few museums, saw some paintings, other art, the Constitution, etc.  I won't post pictures of that nature.  I don't want to bore anyone.

We also went to the Pentagon.  Our tour-guide knew his stuff!  Walked backwards the entire time, hardly ever looking back, and answered every question thrown at him.  Needlesstosay, pictures were not allowed.  We saw where the plane crashed through the building in the 9/11 attacks.  It was eerie, and, if otherwise weren't informed, you'd never have been able to tell there had once been a horrific tragedy in the very spot where we stood.

We got to tour the Capitol.  I've never been into politics or government issues so maybe that's why I don't remember much about our tour here either.  I'm thinking I just have a bad memory.




Our class...It's so hard to get a good group photo.
On our last night in town, I met up with a friend, Alex, I met on Myspace years ago for the second time.  The first time is a mere blip of a memory, so really I should consider in the first time.  ANYWAY.  We met up and he took me to a section of D.C. that isn't so touristy.  We ate (my favorite story: I had shrimp and grits and sweet potato ravioli) dinner at one place then went for coffee and dessert at another.  He showed me around that area, then went to the National Cathedral which is near where he lives.  We parted ways, and I tried to get some sleep before my last venture to the National Mall for sunrise.

I decided that I would wake up well before sunrise and go, by myself, to the National Mall to watch the sunrise.  This idea probably had "bad" written all over it, but I tried to be just as aware of my surroundings as possible and have fun during my solitude.  I am so glad I did, even tho I was afraid.
The Korean War Memorial was really creepy at night.
remember how I said I was sick of Lincoln...seeing it at night changed my mind.
absolutely beautiful 


World War II Memorial


It was a beautiful day. 
Trying to set up a timer to be in your own photo is sometimes hard...esp when you look like a dork in it. 
The street where my hostel was located.



Sorry this wasn't in very good detail....I hope with this blog I'll be able to write and post pictures of daily adventures so that I'll never be able to forget anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment