Saturday, July 23, 2011

Call me crazy....(just don't call me Shirley!)

This is my first post.  I'll just introduce myself as Starr.  I'm 25 and I love to travel.

I'm giving up my nice duplex, easy enough job, saying good-bye (for the time being) to friends and family, and taking all the money I have saved up and traveling.  I'm determined to make it last as long as I can, but I am more than willing to stay somewhere for 3-6 months to replenish my funds before going on to the next place.

What has lead me to this?  Well, back in 2009 I went on two trips with my school (one to Washington DC and the other to London, England), 2010 I made a cross-country (west to east coast) journey, last minute trip to London again this year, among many other small trips including: Dallas, TX; Jacksonville, FL; Branson, MO; Bowling Green, KY; etc.  Every time I come back, I get really down and can't wait to hit the road again.  Especially this last trip to London/Jacksonville.  I just cried the moment I got home (I almost didn't make it home before the tears started welling up).  Now, this is not all to say I don't have a nice life in Arkansas because I do.  I just love the freedom traveling gives you.  My dad once said that I have his ramblin' bones.  I hope I make them (parents/grandma) proud....even though this is completely out of the ordinary.  It's their fault, I mean...look at my name!  That's a start... :)

Am I crazy?  Probably.  Most people my age are finishing/finished school, starting careers, getting settled, making families.  Yeah...that's not for me.  I did, however, finish school, so I have that at least I suppose.  But I don't want to settle.  I don't want to have "roots" yet.  I'm young, and I find it more responsible to be selfish while I can..before I have responsibilities of kids or significant other.  Who is to say I'll live to retirement age?  Or that I'll even have the money/option to do what I'm planning right now later?  I'm not someone without a life plan...I'm someone who lives for now.  Why worry about later if later may never come?  Of course, though, all this could change once I'm out there traveling.  I could find a place I fall in love with and want to call home, a fantastic job opportunity (I'll be putting my resume in at different places that I see fit), or awesome people to call friends.

I'll miss my friends and family dearly...but I've let things like that be my excuse to stay as long as I have. Now it's time to think about me and my life/happiness.

I'm taking the weekend to decide exactly what I'm going to do, talk to my roommate and a couple of friends I trust, make some calls about storage, and just do some general research.  Monday is when I'll have made my decision and ready to tell everyone just exactly what I'm going to do.  I'm sure I'll get some negative reactions (I'm going to do my best not to let it hurt my feelings!!!), but hopefully I'll get positive feedback as well as suggestions or tips for any topic.  A little monetary help wouldn't hurt either, haha. :)  Maybe I'll get enough followers on my page who would like to make donations to help keep me going....I won't hold my breath for that, but wouldn't that be awesome?!

Okay, rambling done.  Hope you, whoever you are, continue to follow me on my journey.  Side-note, I'll upload pictures with all my locations when possible once I get started.  Good Night!

2 comments:

  1. I is: jealous, jealous, jealous, envious as, but most of all totally elated for you! One day, and that time will come, you will be telling your grand babies about your journey(s). FO SHO'! **tutt tutt!! xo

    ReplyDelete