Sunday, September 27, 2015

New Zealand: Three Month Review

First and foremost, I would like to take back my statement about the English accent sounding the same as Kiwi. Granted there are times when some British people might sound the same as a Kiwi, I guess it really depends on where in England someone is from...but I don't think I'll be getting them that confused anymore.

Since I've been traveling, I've realized all the towns we go through are basically the same…they might have some kind of little quirk about them, but it was like being in Papakura at times. It's nice to have a small-town feeling, but even the big cities aren't really that big feeling…I guess I'm trying to compare it to Tel Aviv, but that's like comparing apples to oranges.

Suz told me sheep are abundant and stupid. I have seen more sheep than I could ever possibly imagine…and they are, in fact, stupid. It would make me laugh when we'd pass by them on the bus and they'd freak out and run off or pee. In addition to the many, many sheep I've seen, I've also seen a multitude of cows. Our driver told us that the black and white cows are called indicator cows…the more white they had, the more milk they had. I almost believed that, but then realized pretty quickly how silly that was.

Rolling hills, country-side, small towns, (snow-covered) mountains, lakes, the coastal line….basically this country is very picturesque and in order to fully appreciate it, you had better be ready to put on some good walking shoes and have a camera on hand. Also, the south island has spotty cellphone reception. However, that being said, I have burned through so much data that I've had to buy more three different times. I still have credit on my pre-paid plan so it's not like they'll give me any of that money back so might as well use it, right?

The food here isn't really all that different, but there's one thing that I just cannot understand the fuss. It's this spread called vegemite, or marmite depending on who is eating it (they're different, but they both taste like shit to me (sorry (not sorry)))…here's a video of American kids trying Australian snacks, but I've made it so that it starts at them tasting vegemite. I pretty much had the same reaction as the kid in the yellow and the kid in the sparkly blue top. Watch the whole video if you want; it's cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment