Sunday, August 30, 2015

New Zealand: week 11- August 21-28

Friday, August 21
I'm still feeling a better and looking to make some solid plans. I am finalizing my speech for tomorrow *throws up*…I hope I don't get up there and get all nervous and start crying. I might get choked up anyway because it's about something that is really personal and special to me. I hope I am speaking on the right subject! I went to the library and picked up a few books I requested: "Veronika Decides to Die" and "The Winner Stands Alone" by Paulo Coelho (the author of my favorite book, "The Alchemist"), and "The 4-Hour Work-week" by Timothy Ferriss because who actually wants to spend all their time working ;)


Saturday, August 22
Today was the big day for me to give a speech at Limmud. I was super nervous about it because I, like most people, am not a public speaker. Suzanne was awesome and gave me a ride to the venue and I was able to read over my speech a few times. Let's be honest here, I had no intentions of memorizing it like a good speech-giver would do. I had every intention to just read from my paper…otherwise, I'd probably vomit...word-vomit that is. It turned out, to my relief, that the group I was speaking in front of was small as it was being held in a classroom with two other sessions were being held at the same time in other rooms. The first speaker spoke on community, the second on the holocaust (she showed us this video (below) that I found interesting (longer version)), the third spoke about Lilith, the fourth was about humor (he had a dad joke or two which are my favorite), and then it was me…I spoke about my conversion. I was nervous for various reasons, but as it turns out, I didn't need to be because I had a few people come up and tell me they enjoyed what I had to say. I might post the speech later…keep an eye out for that.



"Life is not easy for everybody, but life can be beautiful even when it's not so easy."



Sunday, August 23
I had the opportunity of going to Limmud for free, thanks to someone who liked my speech, but I stayed home as I've decided it's time to make some plans. I booked a hop on/hop off bus pass through Kiwi Experience called Zypher. The minimum travel time is at least 19 days and it takes me from the top of the north Island, to the south island…starts in Auckland and ends in Christchurch. Pretty good deal to me. It'll be exciting to start seeing New Zealand which is the reason I came here. With sadness, I put in my two-week notice at work. I say sadness because I click well with my coworkers and enjoy the job, but it's just time to go forward with my travels.


Monday, August 24
I met with Ari at Pizzabox for lunch. Got caught up on what happened yesterday at Limmud. Afterwards, I did a little bit more "research" for some pending decisions. Stay tuned for that.


Tuesday, August 25
Worked and it wasn't quite as crazy as last week when it was just two of us…of course.


Wednesday, August 26
I was going to go see Motion City Soundtrack tonight…they're on tour right now celebrating their 10 year release of one of their albums. It was $50 which I ultimately decided was too much considering I just put in my two week notice. I took the night off so I should do something anyway, right? Well, Ari and I went to a comedy show at The Classic in the city. It was amusing hearing these people talk about Americans. Afterwards, I inhaled a burger and kumra (sweet potato) fries and a shake…so hungry. Fun night out. That night Suz's brother flew in from Australia, and it was cool to meet him.


Thursday, August 27
Had an extremely short shift, three hours. Emerald got a high mark on her speech so to celebrate we had hot-dogs and they were amused when I called the "frankfurts" "weenies"…or was it "wieners"…either way, they were amused. I've never watched "The Sound of Music" so we started that and went to bed when it got to the intermission. I hope we finish it :p


I know my weeks have been a bit lackluster, but now that I've put in my two week notice at work I'll soon be updating with more pictures and things to talk about :)



"Tell me that you're alright...yeah, everything is alright..."

No comments:

Post a Comment